Aller au marché! Plus a little fishing on the way back...

 






On Wednesday and Friday mornings, very early, I go to the market.  It is, even after nearly two decades in France, one of my greatest pleasures.  The interaction between the producers and the customers is like a delicate ballet, and it took a few years to learn it.  But now I shop with confidence, and know my farmers well.  I shop at the market because it is local, fresh and seasonal  

 The end of September says good bye to the summer vegetables - tomatoes, aubergines, courgettes, and hello to the more substantial veg of the Autumn.  Pumpkins, squashes, chard, things that I haven't eaten for months whet the appetite.  




For years I have told myself that I cannot use clay or model things very well.  But I have always wanted to!  There are so many amazing miniature food artists out there, that I have always generally bought rather than attempt to make.  

But I had a real desire to make a pumpkin!  I bought some fimo in cognac, thinking that if it were a total disaster, I would not have wasted much.  I made a round ball, squashed it a little, and used a cocktail stick to make indentations.  A twist of fimo for a stem, and hey presto!  A pumpkin!  And then another....



And then a squash...


And a late marrow...


And then a large amount of root vegetables!  It is funny when the miniature bug takes hold, and pushes you on and on to create more. 

 On the left are three turnips, or 'neeps', as we say in Scotland. Though some call them swedes and others rutabaga, it is the bright orange neep that graces a plate of haggis.  

Traditionally for Hallowe'en in Scotland, carved turnips are used as lanterns, rather than pumpkins which came from the New World.



Then I realised that I had some lovely things in my stash for the kitchen.  A cabbage and mushrooms from Irinaminiature on Etsy...


And some fish, also by Irina, that go so well with the fishing creel I made.  That looks like a lovely bit of salmon!  Someone has been down to river for a spot of fishing on the way back from market.


A pottery bowl of bread and cheese from Elizabeth...






What a productive morning at the market and down by the stream!

It just needs one more thing...

                                                 


A lovely, filled shopping basket, also made by Elizabeth.  Now I am starting to get hungry!


Jonquil


Comments

  1. What a wonderful little autumn scene Jonquil. Like you, I am hesitant to attempt making food but looking at your veggies perhaps I should give it a go.....?!
    I just adore the fishing creel you made - perfect for Irena's wonderful fish.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anna, definitely give it a go! I was really put off for years, but honestly, it isn't too difficult at all! Just buy one block of clay to start and a cutter; you can paint fimo with acrylics. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. You're very gifted, your vegetables are fantastic and I admire your fishing creel. Everything goes very well with what you had already bought. They all make a great scene. I like very much what you wrote about French markets.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Geneviève! I love going to the market, it is one of my great pleasures!

      Delete
  3. Once again you've PROVEN yourself to be a Master of your Medium Jonquil; this time demonstrating your Super Skills with polymer clays!
    Your Vegetables are Unbelievably Realistic and when looking at them up close, one would be hard-pressed to realize that they are in fact miniatures- Perhaps you should show them to the farmers at the Market you attend and tell them you've developed a new hybrid- I'm sure they'll get a chuckle!😄
    My hat's off to you, Madame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also like to compliment you on the Superb coloration and "earthiness" of your assorted veg. they appear to have been recently harvested which is a look I LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you Elizabeth, it is but a start. I wasn't sure if I had gone a little too far with the mud, but it seems more realistic too me so I'm happy you like it too!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jonquil! You have done an Awesome job of making those Earthy fall vegetables! I think those potatoes look perfect! And the rutabagas too! Your pumpkins are just beautiful and look like they could make some great pie.... if not used for Halloween! I guess it really goes to show that once you settle into the project, you have all the detail work right at your fingertips! What a great collection you now have... and yes, I am hungry now too... salmon and potatoes with a side of squash.... or cabbage...
    sounds about right just now! Lol! Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cabbage...I'll have to work out how to do that one! Yes, the weather is closing in, and it is definitely potato season for me!

      Delete
  6. Oh, Jonquil, don't these al just look incredible? I 'm working up an appetite just looking at these pictures. Even when I read the word 'polymer clay' I imagine the smell of pumpkin soup!

    It is a lovely miniature scene.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Huibrecht! It is the beginning of pumpkin and squash season, and I am happy to eat them again. But by March, I am heartily sick of them, and can't wait for summer vegetables!

      Delete
  7. Your vegetables are seriously perfect. I love that they look 'harvested' and not plastic wrapped sanitised supermarket veggies. You are so talented with a paintbrush too to get their final finish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am not a fan of 'perfect' vegetables in real life or in miniature; Something that looks like it has grown well in nature generally has a better taste, but people do seem to expect perfection, sadly!

      Delete
  8. Wow! I love your Autumn display. Your work is simply stunning.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drora, thank you so much! Happy Autumn to you!

      Delete
  9. This blog was a lovely read! I'm moving to a different country in the near future and I can't wait to experience all the new food, people, and traditions. You make me hungry for that, more even than the food.
    Yes, polymer clay starts with a pumpkin. Once you figure out the possibilities, you will love the medium. I highly recommend Angie Scarr's books as a starting point if you want to make more food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan, so funny you should say that, as I have already ordered Angie's book, so lots to do during the long Winter evenings! GOOD LUCK with your move - it is always a little daunting to change country/culture/language, but the most important thing is to go with a curious mind and make friends. Bon Voyage!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts