Back to School!

 

                                       

I am looking forward to getting back to the classroom and my students after such a long time.  In celebration, I tried to finish off the library of Daviot House (only a miniaturist would understand that mentality!)   I have just about finished, just a book here and a pencil there, and I am still contemplating whether to make curtains or not.  

It may depend on how bad the weather gets this Autumn, as the library is the number one spot in Daviot House to snuggle up against the worst weather, with a good book, and some thick curtains would be very cozy and stop the draughts.



I wish my real life desk was this neat and tidy.  The paperwhites are just a little too early, but seasons are strange in Daviot House.  I would like to fill this lovely secretaire with papers and paraphenalia, and I am on the look out for suitable pens.



We shall see about the curtains.... and possibly a new seat cover for the beautiful corner chair by Brian Rumble, the white colour is just too blinding!

The revolving bookcase has been moved to the front of the room, as it was too far back to be seen.  



It houses a collection of treasures.




You may remember the flowers I made earlier this year.  I used the same technique to make some daffodils and narcissi - I used tracing paper and pastel chalks, which give a lovely subtle colour.




The bronze Egyptian cat was on the mantlepiece, but it was also a little lost.  Now it sits proudly guarding the books!


The compass tea caddy by Malcolm Hall you have seen before, as well as the beautiful turned urn by Michael's Miniature Treasures.  But here's a new item...


I found a photo of an antique ostrich egg on a stand, and Michael kindly made it for me! 

 In fact, he made two for me to choose from using different woods, and I chose this one as the stand is made of African wood, which I thought most appropriate for an ostrich egg.

In other new items news... a stunning clock from Keith Bourgourd at Small Time.  I probably shouldn't have, but I couldn't resist it.  There is something lovely about having working clocks in a miniature house.  And practical too, as I can check the time when I am working on the house!  


The tiny acorn finial is perfact, and goes with the underlying naturalist theme of the library.   And the lion head handles go well with my tiny ivory lion, looking very fierce!


All in all, I am very pleased with the fireplace, I just need to wire the log basket for a cheering glow.

                                           

The book making has continued, but at a snail's pace.  On the bottom, there will be a complete 24 tome Encyclopedia Britannica, which matches the real one I have.  It is a relic in this day and age of the internet!    The shelves need just a little something extra...




A pen and ink drawing of the three graces that I drew years ago and never quite found the right home for...



I think it has found the right spot now!


I have cheated in the book making on some shelves; filling them instead with urns and boxes.  I have a small collection of urns and vases from various makers.  



I feel I have earned a wee dram of whisky!  

Cheers to the new school year!










Comments

  1. An elegant room with many beautiful details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fabiola, it is one of my favourite rooms in Daviot House!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautifully curated room, Jonquil! Best of luck with the new school year! It will be nice to be among eager and creative students again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, yes it is good to get back to normal life, though it does take me away from my miniatures!

      Delete
  3. Precioso despacho. ¡Cuántos elementos maravillosos hay dentro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Isabel, hace tiempo que collectionado y es muy bien buscar un emplacio para todos

      Delete
  4. What an elegant and at the same time cozy room. Everything has found its right place, so many beautiful details ( real treasures) that are perfect for such a room. Concerning curtains it could be a good idea if they don't hide the window too much. I agree with you that the fabric of the corner chair is a bit too white. I like in real life when bookcases are full of books with some other items just like what you did in your room. Your clock is absolutely a masterpiece. Enjoy your new school year!
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geneviève, I have been wonderinf about the curtains for a while, and I wouldn't want them to block out the light too much. The chair cover will be added to my very long list of things to do! Je te souhaite une belle rentrée!

      Delete
  5. What a pretty room this is turning out to be. I really love how it is so stylish and so relaxed at the same time, that is something that can be really difficult to do.
    There are so many exquisite treasures and the open monkey book make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, the monkey book is a particular favourite of mine, it adds a little whimsy!

      Delete
  6. Your posts never fail to warm the cockles of my heart, Jonquil! Congratulations on getting yourself back into the mix in both work and play! Your library is indeed a cosy spot to relax, kick your shoes off and enjoy the blaze of a warm fire with a short glass of whiskey ( for medicinal purposes only wink wink) AND a good book (s) to bury your nose in whilst the wind rages outside.
    Having said that, I think that a pair of curtains to forestall any drafts would be perfectly reasonable inside this snuggly room along with the new seat cover you've mentioned for that Stunning new corner chair! A Beautifully appointed space everywhere I look and one which I can't help but Love! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, the curtain decision duly seconded, I shall have a hunt around for suitable material! I hadn't thought of kicking of shoes... it makes me think that a pair of slippers might go perfectly in this scene, thank you for the inspiration!

      Delete
  7. ¡Un trabajo espectacular! mires donde mires hay piezas preciosas muy bien colocadas, Me encanta

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all just stunning. Such wonderful details. Big applause!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts