This is a working candle sconce that I made, using a fantastic tutorial from Bindel's Ornaments. I have often thought about the lighting, and never managed to buy commercially made lights, as they all look the same, and I find that they are quite chunky. I can't quite afford some of the amazingly detailed lights that are available from artisans, so I was delighted when I found this compromise. Lighting may be my 'next big thing'!
I followed the tutorial, but changed the back decorative panel, as I wanted something a little different. I found Bindel's to be very reasonably priced, and managed to do this sconce for about 7 euros, which is great.
I didn't want gold, as I find it a little too bright, and also, it would have been highly unrealistic in my house, as it is not a 'grand' house, but rather one of an 'old family fallen on hard times'. So I used Humbrol metalcote to give it a burnished, almost black sheen.
This is also a good colour choice for Daviot House as all the walls are natural plaster, which is very, very pale. I need a lot of contrast!
I followed the Bindel's tutorial using jeweller's cement to stick the pieces together. It was a very quick and easy process, and I managed to to it all standing up in the kitchen with my twin toddlers running around!
The moment of truth happened when I attached a plug and switched on the electricity - it works!
I highly recommend Bindels, they also have a lot of other tutorials on their site and, above all, their postage costs are really reasonable. That's super important for someone like me who has to order EVERYTHING online, as Lyon is miniature-poor (though we do have a Miniatures Museum... ironic, really).
I cannot wait to make some more very soon!