The Waiting Game



A new level for Daviot House has given me two new rooms to play with. I wanted a library/ study and a sitting room on the second floor, to balance the more formal rooms on the first floor.


With all the recent renovations, I think a plan of the layout would be good to show how things have evolved.



I was never truly happy with the original parlour. For some reason, if never seemed to work, the layout was strange  it was next to the bedroom, the colours didn't quite seem to go together well... so why not start with  a clean slate?

I drew the features that I wanted on paper first, to see the dimensions of the panelling and fireplace.  It is a small room with a low ceiling, and I needed to maximise the space.


I generally have to buy my building supplies online, and then....wait.  This means that I often have a number of projects on the go at the same time  as each is waiting for that vital piece before I can move on to the next step.

 For obvious reasons, recently the wait has been extra long... so I've tried to make do where possible. The panelling and door are made from trusty cereal packets..


I wanted two flat columns either side of the fire.  I found some perfect ones from Sue Cook, but until I can order them I have put in card versions.


The floor boards I luckily had in my stash, just the right amount and no more, phew!  These boards are the iron- on type that I use throughout Daviot House for continuity.  They are easy to apply and don't break the bank.  You can find them at Sussex Crafts.


I love both Sue Cook and Malcolm Hall fireplaces, but neither had exactly what I was going for, which was a simpler design of a fireplace at Traquair House.  So offcuts of wood moulding and cereal packets will have to do for now!


The floorboards ironed on to card, then coated with boiled linseed oil, left to dry and then waxed


A touch of fake marbling...


Not so bad... but you can see where I am waiting for cornice and skirting...all in good time.




I like the soft yellow walls against the mid and ice blues of the upholstery, but I thought there was something missing in the overall scheme.


The original parlour, which this room replaced, had a slight chinoiserie theme.  I decided that it was a very definite style that didn't harmonise with rest of Daviot House.  I didn't want to completely jettison the idea, so I searched around for some inspiration.

At Abbotsford,  Walter Scott's famous home in the borders of Scotland, the parlour is hung with exquisite hand painted chinoiserie wallpaper, chosen by his wife.  I think it was Scott's cousin, working in the Far East at the time who sent it to them.  I took a few photos last year...




It is bold and stunning paper, but really needs a big room to carry it off successfully.  So I thought I'd make a small screen, inspired by the design.


I cut three pieces of walnut sheet, sanded them and gave them a coat of gesso on one side.  Then I used acrylic paints for the design.



I muted the back ground colour, but kept the same beautiful sea green.  The original paper is incredibly detailed, but I chose to use the same type of flower and only three birds on my screen, so it wouldn't look too overwhelming.








I am waiting for some brass hinges in the post, so I used strips of ribbon to hold the screen together.


The colour of the screen just stops the colours from being a bit too bland.  

And as a lovely coincidence, Walter Scott's wife was a French lady, Charlotte Charpentier, who was born in....Lyon, where I live!

That's as far as I can go with the parlour until I receive a few things in the post, so this room will start the waiting game again...

And whatever happened to the original parlour?  Well, it all started with this beautiful bed.  I needed a master bedroom of a decent size, so the original parlour is no more!


I have started dressing this bed, and used one of my son's old shirts to make pillows and a mattress.


The scale of the stripes is just perfect, and as it was for a two year old, the cotton is lovely and soft.


In one afternoon, with an old shirt, needle and thread and some risotto rice, the bed went from this...


...to this.

A few pillows and a bolster to complete the bedding;


And now the waiting game begins again as I launch into renovating the new master bedroom!


Jonquil 


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! By the way, you might want to scroll to the bottom of the post about my birthday, there's a surprise for you...

      Delete
  2. ¡Precioso! Me encanta el biombo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C'est toujours très intéressant de voir comment les gens travaillent et de suivre les pensées et inspiration qui accompagnent la préparation d'une pièce. Cette pièce est très jolie et pleine de charme. L'ajout du paravent est vraiment un plus et j'admire votre talent de peintre.
    Je ne savais pas que la femme de Walter Scott était de Lyon, toute la famille de ma mère est de cette ville, petit clin d'oeil une de ses cousines a épousé un écossais.
    Bonne continuation pour cette pièce et la master bedroom (le tissu est parfait pour le lit).
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coucou Geneviève, oui c'est fascinant les connexions qu'on trouve entre nos deux pays...à la rentrée j'aimerais aller aux archives de Lyon pour apprendre plus sur cette dame, qui est si peu connue.

      Delete
  4. I just love, Love, LOVE your screen. The room is coming along beautifully but the screen is just so perfect. I can understand why you sacrificed the old parlor to make room for the bed - it is stunning. I too like to use well worn shirts for bedding and clothing, nothing beats well-worn cotton.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thank you! And yes, it was a little nerve wracking ripping it all out, but hopefully the room will develop nicely now.

      Delete
  5. Me encanta el papel chinoiserie y me parece genial convertirlo en un biombo.
    Con el nuevo tono de pared, los muebles lucen más.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Marian, si, el papel esta maravilloso,los colores son muy ricos et fuertes para un papel de 19 sieglo.

      Delete
  6. Waiting is the hardest part, but you have found wonderful ways to productively pass the time. The screen is so lovely and something to be proud of! A marvelous way to bring the feel of the hand painted wallpaper in without overpowering the room. The bed is also wonderful! If I were a little person I'd be tempted to take a flying leap right into it! The layout for the house is grand and in your hands will be decorated, adorned and curated admirably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, I'd be careful about jumping in the bed, the risotto rice filling could be quite painful to land on! I really struggle with the waiting, as when I have an idea, I just want to finish it. Perhaps it's a good discipline to learn!

      Delete
  7. Ah the waiting game, yes i am afraid I know it well. I guess we all do. However, it is what you (can) do in the mean time that really counts. And you do not sit still. The screen you have painted is wonderfull. It adds a great dealof colour to the room without "condemming" it to an overal Chinoiserie theme.

    I love the idea of the cereal packet stand ins for the pilasters and the fireplace. They help to visualise the plans for these rooms. The pilasters of Sue Cook will look great in the parlour.

    The plan of the new Daviot house helps to read the building and its layout of the rooms. I hope that the waiting is short and that you van continue with your plans soon.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Huibrecht, ah, I think all of us miniaturists know this feeling. It is so frustrating, but on the other hand, necessity is the mother of invention, and it is amazing what can be done with a little imagination. Still, proper plaster can't quite be substituted with cardboard, but at least it satisfies visually for the moment!

      Delete
  8. What an inspired idea to create the screen using the Abbotsford paper design - it looks really good. I'm impressed! Thanks too for the plan of Daviot House. It's lovely to see how all the rooms work together. You've certainly got your hands full for some time to come with the newly adapted property. I do so enjoy watching rooms evolve so it was nice to see all your adaptations and cardboard ideas. An excellent plan while awaiting parcels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene! I like Abbotsford and Scott's weaponry collection and library, but for some reason the parlour really spoke to me. It had such a lovely atmosphere. You must get down there sometime...I realised that I should probably show everyone the layout, as it has changed so much over the years!

      Delete
    2. I've been! It's a lovely building and I took some inspiration from it for Marsh Hall. It's a good day out, in lovely surroundings too! Seeing the current layout of Daviot House would be good.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful rooms. Have fun with the new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fabiola! It is a good time to start a project!

      Delete
  10. I must say Jonquil that each visit here is like a NEW ADVENTURE! I love the way your Daviot House is growing like Topsy and becoming ALL that you want it to be, even when it means gutting and renovating what's gone before.
    Your plans looks BIG however, it's all those Wonderful little details which bring each room to life.
    I am LOVING your hand-painted screen along with its curvaceous shape which screens and directs the eye, without blocking the view.
    The richness of your floorboards looks wonderful and I'm going to tuck boiled linseed oil away in my "techniques to try" file.
    And I LOVE your fireplace with the marble insert- BEAUTIFUL WORK Jonquil. You're painting skills have been put to work inside this room features including the framed portrait and it all compliments each other to a "T"
    I can see how the two flat columns will balance either side of the fireplace but I also LOVE the extra detail you've used on the ceiling which ties everything together- simple yet Elegant!
    The interior architectural details suits the quietness of this Very Pretty space and I know you must be feeling rather impatient as you wait for the balance of them to arrive, so that you can get on with it!
    AND THE BED....
    Like Jodi has mentioned: I too want to take a swan dive into that plump mattress and bury myself in the piles of pillows AND I can't wait to see how you'll dress it up with your embroidered linens- your beds are always FAB TIMES 10! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth - trust you to notice all the tiny details! Even the ceiling.. you have such keen eyes! The linseed oil is a great technique for bringing out the colour, but it does stink yo high heaven and take quite a while to dry out. But worth it in the end! And like I said to Jodi, please don't jump into the bed, or you'll get a face full of hard rice (though it is really tempting!)

      Delete
  11. Wow, Jonquil, you have made so much progress! The new design does give you much more "elbow room"! I love the calm and restrained feeling of the new Parlor! The colors are very serene, but not cold! And your painted screen is Gorgeous!!! It definitely adds the right touch of "glamour" to the room. I understand your "waiting" problems... I have been waiting for orders too... and find it does allow me to "refine" my ideas before I rush too far. It's easier to catch potential mistakes when we have to slow down! LOL! The bedding you made from shirt cloth is wonderful! I have a few old shirts for that reason!
    It is very exciting to see the layout of the "new" Daviot House... I look forward to seeing the developments unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betsy, yes, the mini-mania that takes over sometimes has to be tempered somehow, and an enforced wait helps a lot... perhaps patience can be learnt, but I don't quite know how! I like using old shirts from my boys, it is a little piece of their childhood forever preserved in my house!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts