And so to bed....

     


     Daviot House is currently winging its way to me, and should arrive here by next week.  So I have been thinking about the room that I will do after the parlour.  I had thought that I would do the hall, but for some reason, I am drawn to do the main bedroom.  Everyone loves four poster beds, but I wanted to do something a little different, and have been looking for inspiration for alcove beds.  

      These were beds either constructed directly or put into an alcove in the bedroom, often hidden by a curtain.  They date from the times when bedrooms were not as private as they are today, and often had more functions than sleeping.  They were also very efficient at keeping people snug and cosy at night!

A close relative of the box-bed, they were often found in poorer households, such as this one from Robert Burns' house.



But they could also be more elaborate....



And also extremely grand!


And there is even an example in miniature, thanks to the Thorne Rooms:



I'll have to do some dreaded woodworking to construct it though!

So perhaps that´s the reason why I started to make a half tester bed canopy, just in case my alcove plan doesn´t work...


  This half tester will be suspended above the bed 



The embroidered front panel adds a little, but not too much embellishment


And what is a bed without monogrammed linens?


FMG stands for Flora MacGillivray, my real ancestress and the 'owner' of Daviot House


Comments

  1. Your embroidery is just stunning!

    Don't give up on the woodwork, practice makes perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elga!

      I'll really try not to run away from the woodworking! Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. I saw another example of an alcove bed in a miniatures book, a Swedish Gustavian style room, which had a beautiful silk curtain and matching bolster cushions. It would be a shame not to use the half-tester, but I'm sure you will have more than one bedroom. All the work is beautiful as usual!!

    Regards
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear, Andy, alcove beds are the New Black! They seem to be everywhere right now! I like the way they can be subtley elegant.

      Daviot House will be a rather modest affair, I'm afraid, with only one main bedroom... but I'll find a home for the canopy if I don't use it!

      Jonquil

      Delete
  3. Your embroidery work continues to be exquisite! I particularly love the "Monogrammed" linens. I will look forward to seeing this room unfold.
    Kind regard,
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your embroidery is superb and I love the idea of alcove beds, one would be nice now as it is winter downunder, brrr. I can't wait to see your new house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beautiful embroidery! I am sure that the bed he will succeed! A reader, ANDA

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very delicate embroidery work, Jonquil!
    I didn't get the updates of your blog, now I've to read everything! :D
    Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts