First Footing

 





                             I wish you all a Happy New Year!

In Scotland, the First of January is a day of visiting family and friends.  To give you good luck for the rest of the year, the first person to visit you, to 'first-foot', should be a dark-haired man.  He should bring black bun (a type of pastry covered fruit cake) or bread, salt and coal to represent plenty, fortune and a safe home.  

                  Sometimes some whisky is also offered!





January the first is also a day of making resolutions for the New Year.  I have many mini-resolutions to make, here are a few:

             1 Improving my photography skills

            2 Never, ever gluing things in place until I am absolutely sure it is right!

              3  Not starting too many new projects at the same time

              4  Finishing the outside of Daviot House

            5  Replying to all of your lovely comments that you so kindly leave on my blog, and leaving comments when I have enjoyed something on your blogs! (I am so terrible at that....)

There are many, many more, but these are perhaps the most important!


Happy New Year and Happy mini-making for 2022!

Jonquil






Comments

  1. Happy New Year! Another beautiful and very Scottish post.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Jonquil, I do wish 2022 to be filled with plenty, fortune and safety. I can truly relate to all of your New Years Resolutions - we can only try LOL.
    Your posts are always a joy.
    Best
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, a very Happy New Year to you too! Try, try again... I don't like making too many resolutions, but I'll try to keep these!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year Jonquil and THANK YOU for continuing to post your Incredible work and steady progress on Daviot House. It's such a Pleasure to read, to study and to enjoy your Superb Artistry both inside and out , and never fails to put a BIG smile on my face, whenever I come by to visit. ❤️

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Elizabeth, your comments are so full of joy abd enthusiasm they are their own rewards! Thank you. I have started on instagram, but I will continue my blog as I always have too much to say!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Jonquil! I always love to see a post from you... your creations are so beautiful and the arrangements you present are always lovely eye candy! I really enjoy the "History" you share, both of Daviot House, and also the general information such as First-footing! Having spent a New Years Hogmanay in Scotland (near Oban in a tiny place called Kilmelfort) many many years ago, I remember Firstfooting but not the ingredients one should bring! I hope your New Year is a wonderful one and that there is plenty of time for making minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, Happy New Year may it be filled with health, wealth and happiness! I like to add a bit of history to my miniatures, I hope it adds to the realism a little...

      Delete
  5. What a great and lovely tradition. In the Netherlands we often visit relatives to wish eachother a good New Year, but without traditions like salt or coal. What a lovely salt cannister you have there. really special.

    And I wish you all the best for 2022!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts