All Hallows Eve





A few dried leaves to make a wreath for the front door...



Using tracing paper and a mix of pastel chalks, I made a pile of leaves for Autumn.  I am slightly addicted to using pastels, as I have found them to be really versatile and as good as watercolour paints for getting those realistic colours.

I punched out the leaves from tracing paper that I had already coloured on both sides, and then painted the edge of each individual leaf, to cover the white raw edge.




It took a little time, and I think that however many leaves you make, it is never enough!



I made a small wreath using dried thyme stems, twisting them as I made the loop. I cut back the thyme and oregano plants in my garden, and I think both plants make excellent small branches.  



Here are my pumpkins from the market, looking bright and cheerful on the step.

  The tiny twigs left over from making the wreath were transformed into a twig broom.  I whittled a bamboo skewer down to handle-size and tied the twigs on.  Just right for sweeping away all those leaves!






And during the pumpkin making, I couldn't resist trying my hand at a jack o' lantern.  It was MUCH easier to do than I expected, and I heartily encourage you to try.



The light was horrible for taking photos, as the sun was just going down...




The lanterns came on to dispel the gloom...





And my jack o' lantern was lit too!




A welcoming step to invite friends in out of the cold, dark night.




Jonquil











 

Comments

  1. Your wreath is fantastic thanks to your leaves that look so real. Your lit Jack o' lantern is great and the lit lanterns add a lot the scene. What a good idea to have used your beautiful door for a Halloween and autumnal scene.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely scen for all hallows. Do the people in the part of Scottland where Daviot house stands, celebrate all hallows eve, or Samhain?

    De wreath and the jack o lantern look fantastic. I read more and more about soft pastels. They seem to give great effects. I mus try this myself one day. Do you use them in the form of chalk or pencils?

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to celebrate the season! The leaves, wreath and jack-o-lanterns are so much fun and create a spooky yet inviting entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typically " Jonquilesque"❤️ and I particularly like the way you have coloured the leaves - a Great scene!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jonquil! What a fantastic and moody post! I Love the set-up of the jack o'lantern on the doorstep with the broom and pumpkins! Your old door is a perfect setting and the wreath is a lovely touch!
    It does look suitably spooky! Happy Halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Una escena muy bonita. La calabaza queda estupenda con la luz interior.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Utterly beautiful and I love mini folks who would paint the cut edge of a gazillion tracing paper leaves to complete the illusion. The devil or decidedly in the detail when we work in 1/12th. The lit Jack O' Lantern is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts