I have been away for so long, trying to fix my back injury after my accident in January.  It has been almost 6 months, a very slow, frustrating process.  Unfortunately most of the time I can't work on my miniatures, but a little while ago, between surgeries, I managed to do a couple of things.  

As I was stuck in bed for quite a while, everything I could do had to fit on a small tray.  So the work on the music room and the kitchen has had to be postponed.

I started with a flower kit by Pascale Garnier.  They seem to be as rare as hen's teeth, but with many wonderful reviews, so I was very happy to find this kit second-hand on Ebay.  The detail is wonderful, and the paper is thinner than in most kits.


I have been making paper flowers for a while, but this kit taught me a few interesting things to make the flowers more realistic. 

 One, use really fine guage wire, or green thread stiffened with glue.  Two, dry artist's pastels applied with a brush give a very realistic colour.  And three, use very fine paper.  I have airmail paper, and some light tracing paper, and they seem to be about the same thickness as Pascale's paper.







The Pierre de Ronsard roses that I made really do look lovely, (certainly not like my RL Pierre de Ronsard, which is suffering from my lack of gardening this spring)  and I highly recommend Pascale's kits, if you can find them, that is!


After I made the roses, I made a small bunch of Jonquils (of course!  Sorry!)  I used tracing paper, and they really have the texture of Paperwhites.  I will make some more when I can.


Finally some irises.  The same way I always make them, but again using tracing paper, which is so much more realistic.


The tablecloth was made using normal white sewing thread and a piece of old cotton bedsheet.  Staying in bed made me so bored, I had to turn anything into a miniature! 

 I was so far from my usual sewing supplies that I used what I had with me in the hospital.  I tried whitework with pulled threads and some needlelace inserts.  It certainly helped me out of my medical misery doing such fine work!




It is so difficult to photograph this, but I think you get the idea.  When I got home (finally), I added an edging of vintage French lace.  I cannot crochet for the life of me (even though my mother has tried to teach me for years), which is a shame, as I would love to do an Edwardian crochet hem.




And then, of course, the matching napkins.  You can't see it, but each one has the initals of my family.  They look lovely in the sterling silver napkin rings, and I wish I had more than four.







I hope you enjoy these late Spring flowers, and that they bring you as much pleasure as I had making them.

Fingers crossed that my recovery keeps going well, and I shall try to post as much as I can,


Jonquil

 

Comments

  1. Your new post is a real treat, your flowers are beautiful and it's true that Pascale Garnier's kits are excellent. At the moment I'm making her flowers, I've had the kits for years. Your tablecloth is gorgeous and I love the matching napkins. By the way like you I can't crochet, although I tried several times but I'm hopeless.
    I hope you will get better and have a full recovery soon after all the months of misery and hard times.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jonquil,
    I am glad you read you are getting better, but at the same time really sad that you were so badly hurt in your accident.
    Your gorgeous flowers are a real treat on a rainy, wintery day in South Australia and makes me want to bring out my flower kits to brighten up my day.
    I hope you will soon feel well enough to get back to your georgous minis.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are exquisite.
    I wish you complete recovery as quickly as possible.
    Stay safe!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Las flores son preciosas.
    Te deseo una rápida recuperación.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unos trabajos fantásticos, las flores muy finas y el mantel con sus servilletas, para una mes de lujo.
    Te deseo una pronta recuperación.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the flowers are simply exquisite but the needle work you did freehand using just white cotton and sewing thread - that is absolutely masterful! Incredible work! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jonquil, your creative urges while recovering have caused you to make some Gorgeous miniatures! The lace tablecloth is just beautiful! And your flowers are so beautiful! I have heard of Pascale's kits, but never used one. It is interesting to learn of the thickness of the paper... so often we think paper is just paper... all the same! But I know about air mail paper, and plan to search for some thinner types for future projects. I do hope your recovery continues to go well and that you will continue to be inspired to make such gorgeous miniatures! Your needlework is always an inspiration to me! Those little monogrammed napkins are exquisite!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jonquil, it is good to read a post from you here. It is sad to read that so much time is needed for recovery. I hope that your recovery will speed up from now.

    That being said, it is good that you keep yourself busy. You have produced some stunning items!

    The flowers and the tablecloth are nothing short of spectacular. And the same goes for the matching napkins. Naturally.

    These miniatures hold the promise of many more terrific miniatures to come.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meravigliosi i tuoi fiori, Jonquil! Come tutte, spero di sentire buone notizie riguardo il tuo stato di salute. Un abbraccio!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you recover well. I love your flowers and napkins everything is so delicate and beautifull

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not only impressed by how GORGEOUS your rose kit turned out but also LOVE the tip of using dry pastels on the petals- HOW ABSOLUTELY LOVELY!
    I find myself at a loss of words whenever it comes to how much I admire the quality of your needlework which I continue to marvel at! Your tablecloth and the teeny tiny monograms on the napkins are BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL which sound entirely inadequate when describing them.
    Anyway, continue to get better Jonquil but Thank You for taking the time to share your incredible talents with us even through your ongoing pain.❤️

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts