Completely Floored



      I have been searching around for a way to make a realistic stone floor that really looks its age (405 years!)  I used real stone flooring in the dining room, but the slabs are a little too straight and perfect for my stonework, especially for an entrance hall that has seen a lot of history! 

       I make all of the stonework for Daviot House, doorways, lintels, steps and windows from DAS clay, textured with an old toothbrush and coloured with watercolours.  It is a good way to make sure that all the stonework matches through out the house, as it does in a real old house.



     I used my usual method of rolling out a large sheet of clay and cutting it into slabs, texturing with a toothbrush.  When the clay was totally dry, I used layers and layers of watercolour to get the perfect colour of well worn sandstone.  I finished the slabs with a coat of satin varnish to seal them.



I laid them out in the hall to make sure of the fit.  Then I reglued the slabs on to another piece of card to be grouted.


I used ordinary fine grouting, which is a fraction of the cost of 'special' grout sold by dolls house suppliers.  It is in fact exactly the same thing!





The grout is quite dark when wet, but soon dries into a lovely light grey, which goes well with the stone colour.


To create a barrelled effect, I curved some stiff card over the ceiling.




  I think it adds a little more architectural interest in a room that would otherwise be just a long tunnel.


A few items of decoration for the walls...


A Victorian print representing the Clan MacGillivray


And two more infamous characters, Mary Stuart and William Wallace...



A lovely Master's Miniatures table with a couple of pewter items from Tony Knott and a bust of Charles I... but just his head!  I have also pinched a selection of toy weaponry from my sons until I can collect or make enough miniatures.




A later addition of a hall table for post and keys... I imagine there will be a few Christmas parcels on the table soon!



The chair is from Ashwood Designs, and lends an air of ancient gravitas.  I am undecided about the lighting for the moment, and until I do, a small chandelier from Phoenix does the job.

I also have to research/find a yett for the back doorway.  
 
                                  


A yett is an old iron gate that was used to stop intruders entering the building if they had been fortunate enough to break down the thick wooden door.  This example is at Drumlanrig Castle.  Yetts were cheaper and easier to install than a portcullis, but you still needed a Royal Warrant to have one, just in case you decided to rebel against the King.


And of course, I still need to make the staircase!

                        All in good time,

                                Jonquil
























 

Comments

  1. The entrance hall is looking fabulous! I love the floor but the vaulted ceiling really makes the room - what a great idea.
    Stay Safe,
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      Yes, it's amazing what a little bent card can do to change a room!
      Jonquil

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I think I will try the clay way of making a stone floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grandmommy, I will try to find the time to make a specific tutorial step-by-step for the flooring to help.
      Jonquil

      Delete
  3. Wow! This hall is awesome and the stone floor is stunning. Thank you for the tips, especially the way you make the ceiling. I had to smile, reading about the pinched toys from your son. They look quite convincing on the wall.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drora!
      So nice to know that I am not the only one! I have a hidden agenda when it comes to my boys' toys; will there be anything I can use in the box? ;D
      Jonquil

      Delete
  4. This room certainly does convey an atmosphere of a 405 year old Manor House, and even with the obvious recent upgrades within some of the other rooms, there's a sense of continuity and timelessness, whenever we come by for a visit.
    This ancient hall with its vaulted ceiling exudes a history of a tempermental family clan with a history of warfare against the British. I'm willing to bet that the old stone floor has seen a few skirmishes in its day since it appears to have always been there so Well Done Jonquil!
    And guess what? I used to scoop my son's 'miniature appropriate' playthings to use inside my dollhouse too, so it's nice to see that tried and true tradition still being carried on.
    So much better to have their mini firearms displayed properly on the wall, than hovered up by a vacuum cleaner! ;D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Elizabeth, the dreaded vacuum! The shrieks as the precious bits of lego go rattling up the tube! And the horror of going through the bag to find them again.... memories are made of this.
      Jonquil

      Delete
  5. Le sol est magnifique et la couleur très réussie, le plafond est parfait également. Et comme toujours les détails de décoration comme les tableaux sont très bien choisis.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci bien Geneviève! Il faut que je fasse un tuto pour les tableaux, un projet bien fait pour nos longues journées confinées!
      Jonquil

      Delete
  6. The flooring is really very effective and the vaulted ceiling is a great idea to make the space more interesting. The space is all coming together beautifully and my eye went immediately to your floral arrangement on the table - that's really nice.

    I'm also loving your idea for the yett - it looks pretty impressive sitting there.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene!

      yes, the yett, or the 'not yett', I am still working out how to do that one! And we definitely need more flours for these dreich times hen!
      Jonquil

      Delete
  7. The hall looks great already! I love the floor. The colours are wonderfully done. Do you use the brush to make indentations with the bristles or to brush with it? Or both?

    You should definately get a yett! It would be good to know the clan was always loyal to its king. Or queen ofcourse. 😁

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Huibrecht,
    Thank you!! I use a collection of old toothbrushes to make the random indentations on the clay when it is half dry. THey leave lovely worn bits, and it is very satisfying work, bashing the clay! I think I will prepare a tutorial soon...

    Jonquil

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts