Thursday, May 21, 2020
A Little Procrastination...
Obviously, just as I was finishing the Drawing Room, I suddenly started on the kitchen. This is a fairly typical modus operandi for me, as I like to go where inspiration takes me, rather than planning to do things on certain days.
Instead of getting to grips with the final upholstering of the sofa (which I know you are all awaiting with great anticipation ;D), I instead embarked on a project that has been on my list for a while.
I have a big birthday coming up in June, the big FOUR -OH (dear), and I have a few items on my list of 'Things I would like to Achieve Before Hitting Middle Age'.
Sadly for a miniaturist, I cannot make things well with wood. I have tried little by little to improve on this, but things really came to crisis when I enlarged Daviot House (again) and found myself with a new kitchen to do. This came with its own lines of thought - modern or old-fashioned? Fitted or with individual furniture? I wanted a quite timeless look, but traditional, and decided on fitted lower cabinets. Oh help.
Two years ago I bought a Dremel table saw which then sat on my work desk gathering dust. Much to the disgust of my cat Edgar, who can't bear the noise, I started playing with it recently. Here are my first attempts...
This is the kitchen, a nicely sized room. I also have a scullery/pantry so I don't need to fit too many food cupboards or cleaning items in here. I used cereal packets to give a rough idea to the size and shape of the cabinets I wanted. The fireplace was made of foam board and DAS clay.
Then I made a big mess. I collected the items that I wanted in the kitchen, to have an idea about the amount of counter top space I needed. The cabinets on the right hand side will be a sink unit. The (doorless) fridge is a card version of the final one I will make.
I started with the cabinet fronts, which I cut from 3mm lime wood. The doors and drawers are totally fake; I used 1mm lime wood to make them. As I get better, I fully intend to remake the cabinets with working drawers and doors, but this is just a first step. So far, not so many swear words...
The doors are painted in an ivory cream acrylic, and then sanded, then waxed with clear furniture wax. Finally, I screwed in some brass handles that are actually model boat fittings. They'll do for now.
I repeated the process on the corner cupboard. The surface is made of 3mm lime wood that I painted with watercolours and then waxed and polished. It has a really nice sheen to it.
I used the watercolour/wax combination on a wall shelf, and I'm thinking about adding a couple more above it.
Considering how fake they are, I think the cabinets do the trick for now. And making them helped me get over my irrational fear of woodwork (which I think stems from a disasterous mug-tree I made as a girl at school, from which every single mug fell off and smashed).
I'm having a think about the cooker. It is from the old kitchen, but I don't know if I will keep it, paint it or replace it just yet.
So at least it's a start. I'll be making more cabinets, and if they aren't a huge disaster, I'll share them with you. I'm also looking at lighting and flooring, so it may be a while before I finally do upholster that sofa!
Keep safe, well and mini-ing,
a big P.S: I am having a terrible time leaving comments on blogger, both on your blogs, and even on my own to reply to your lovely comments. I'm trying to work out why, but in the meantime, rest assured that I read them and am delighted to hear your feedback.
If anyone has any tips about why this happens on blogger, I'd love to hear from you too! JQ
Posted by Jonquil at 5:01 PM