P is for... Paper, Paint and Petronella





We had a heatwave a couple of weeks ago - 41°C!  It was terrible because we couldn't go out or do anything, just close the shutters and try to keep cool.  The good thing about making miniatures is that it is calming and relaxing, and so an ideal occupation when stuck indoors.  

I had no energy to take on any big tasks, but a little painting is always fun.  For a corner of the Dining Room, I needed a new painting.  I had been reading about the dolls houses in the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, and came across the portrait of Petronella Dunois, the owner of one of the houses.  I though it would be a fitting tribute to have a painting of her in Daviot House.



I carried on the 17th century theme by making a little 'Still Life' arrangement of flowers.  The bowl is a cheap china tureen that I had in my mini-stash, and I painted it with porcelain paint.  You can just about see a little peacock!  I may fill the bowl with more greenery to get that really lush effect of floral still life.  Perhaps if the temperature goes up again?







Jonquil

Comments

  1. Such a lovely painting! Hope you get to cool down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great painting and the flower arrangement is beautiful, together they make a delightful scene.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jonquil! What a lovely idea to do a portrait of Petronella! Your painting always impresses me! They add so much to the mini decor! And your bowl of blossoms "Still"Life" is just perfect! I would never imagine you had painted the china bowl! And the seventeenth century theme with the blossom on the table is lovely! It seems it was a good thing you had a heat-wave.... it caused you to make such wonderful minis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an impressive painting! The flowers are simply gorgeous, too! You made great use of your time stuck indoors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muy bonitas las flores y el cuadro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your portrait and your bowl of flowers are Picture Perfect! The drape of the woman's gown and the graceful arrangement of the flowers compliment, each other so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. je n 'aurais jamais pensé à peindre un petit bol blanc en miniature . c'est une trés bonne idée . votre composition est parfaite pour la petite table et va trés bien avec votre portrait .

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Petronella painting is a lovely touch and I love your flowers. I struggle to find nice flowers that aren't lumpy but haven't yet gone down the route of making my own - perhaps I should? The little fallen stem is set just right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Petronella, I know her well... that is, her likeness and her dollshouse ;-) A wonderful idea to have her portrait in your Daviot House and I love the combination you have made with the 17th century style flower arrangement. Beautiful!

    I hope the heat will not be as bad this week. Here we are expecting a mere 33C tomorrow, which for us is just swelteringly hot. But hey, more miniature-time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've done an amazing job on the painting, well done. We had the same temperature here. It was completely debilitating and we couldn't do anything except try to sit still!
    Well done, again, it looks great.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts