Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Not-so-grand Entrance


         I made good progress on the front door today.  I was quite pleased because I managed to use the floor that I had made for the hall for the stonework... and it turned out ok.  I used a base of grey and brown acrylic paint, and then did several washes with watercolours, treating each stone separately to give it a natural feel.  

            I might darken the edges some more before varnishing, though the camera flash makes it appear much lighter.



      
    I made the door out of wooden floorboards and used the hardware I had bought earlier from Sussex Crafts.  The nails are black headpins.  I liked using them as all I had to do was cut the head off with wire cutters, drill a hole and pop it in with some glue.  Much easier I found that trying to hammer in tiny pins!

        The door needs another coat of wax after a good clean with damp cloth - there is dust everywhere!


    
         The windows had the same stonework applied.  I have a lot of windows to make!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jonquil! The door and the stonework are fantastic, great work! I also do that: to treat each piece seperately with the same colors. It worked out very nice. The hardware is gorgeous with the "nails".
    I take my pictures always without the flash light in clear day light when possible.
    Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete