One of the reasons I have had such a break from blogging is the fact that I couldn't find a satisfactory, permanent home for Daviot House.
My craft room also doubles up as the guest bedroom, and although we don't have guests regularly, we do need a spare room. This room has become the Mini-ing room, and every time we had visitors, I had to pack up Daviot House.
And I always break something when I pack the house up 😭😭
I have lost a lot of precious crockery that way over the years.
SO I got a little fed up, and spent the summer reorganising the guest bedroom. I decided that although I would LOVE to keep the table in the middle of the room, so I can walk around the house, it is just not practical.
The 14th century tower has moved back and the kitchen block has moved to the right. It should be at the back of the house, but we're just going to have to leave that configuration up to the imagination!
This compromise allows me to access all of the rooms from the front, and I bought a sideboard from IKEA with drawers and cupboards underneath to store all of my crafting things.
This means that the room is tidier, and Daviot House NEVER HAS TO GET PACKED UP AGAIN!! Which is great, because I broke some really nice, irreplaceable things the last time.....
AND, I solved the stairs problem. Kitchens, stairs, never thought I needed them, 'til I needed them! The problem with leaving out a staircase in the initial building has meant that stairs will need to be added on from the outside.
I couldn't work out where to put them, until I moved Daviot House to its final position, and then..... TA DA!!!
The corner which has now appeared where the tower abuts the house is the perfect place to install a staircase! This made me so happy I rushed to get my kids to show them. They were also very impressed.... though we realised that this means more work, and building some stairs.
BUT it will also be the perfect place to hang some ancestor portraits, because we have been running out of wall space in the house.
Sometimes I think that Daviot House will end up five times the size it started as, but that's ok, as long as it still fits on the table!
The new, permanent home also made me think about the kitchen. It was converted from a Dolls House Emporium stable kit, and while I think it is just perfect, the stable doors were irritating me. Because it looks like a stable, not a kitchen.
So I pulled the doors off....
And started to build a conservatory instead. This way I solved the giant gaping-space problem, allowed more light into the kitchen, added a conservatory, which I always wanted but didn't know where to put, AND allow an enticing peek into the kitchen....
I just have to finish leading the glass, and filling it with a large amount of salmon pink geraniums!