Oh, it has taken me so long to get another post together - September is such a crazy month for me as classes start and I have so much preparing to do! Sadly my mini-world doesn't get a lot of attention! But I have taken a few photos to keep you up to date.
First of all, I have a new camera! I went a bit mad and decided to get a really lovely one, with bells and whistles - but so many bells and whistles that I'm going to have to study the users manual (all 198 pages) really well. So bear with the really bad photos, I'm just getting to know the camera.
After all the ribbons and yellow of the bedroom, I had a flash of inspirtaion when clearing out the garage, and found lots of illustration and chipboard, just waiting to be cut up. I've been pretty inspired by Irene and Giac, as their panelling looks fantastic, so I thought I'd give making a false wall a try.
For those of you new to the blog, the parlour was originally a box, where I tested out some ideas before taking on a whole house. You can see it here. The dimensions have changed, and I needed a bit more colour, so this is what I came up with:
I need to play around with the furniture, and make a few more pieces, but it gives you a good idea
So much finishing to do!
A new Malcolm Hall clock (sadly not a working one, that is on my wish list!) and a pair of candle sconces I made using findings from Bindels. I love these little brass dolphin ornaments I found, but I don't know quite what to do with them. Originally I wanted to use them on the candle sconces, but they were hidden by the candles. Maybe some fire-irons?
I marbled the fireplace, but I am really not happy with it, especially in contrast with the granite stone. I love this granite clay, but I have found out to my horror that it shrinks for a long time after it appears to be dry! Look at that enormous crack on the right! I'll have to sort that out asap!
I wanted to try some embroidery that wasn't floral- there is so much possibility with surface embroidery, and I think I have just touched the surface with flowers. So here is a nautical theme fire screen.
The stitches I use are different for floral embroidery, so I shall have to practice a bit more. I don't think they are fine enough yet.
Here is the sampler I finally completed and framed this summer. I love this piece because it shows Daviot House!
Here's the layout of the house so far. I like to keep putting furniture in as I work to get a good idea of the space. I have struggled so much with the blue colour in the parlour, and I am still not sure if it is quite right. it seems really bright in this photo, but close up it is a little more subdued. I think I have painted it about six times!
The room on the bottom right was originally destined to be a study, but I am now wondering if a dining room would be better... This picture makes me feel a little exposed, as you can see how much there is still to do!